Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Christmas Scarf for Kev

I took up knitting a while before I took up sewing. But once I got into sewing, that's all I wanted to do - sew. So I had no more time to knit. Sure, I can knit your basic few stitches, but I'm not very quick (and my problem is I'm a perfectionist, i.e. very AR). And I made the mistake of knitting my husband a scarf with tiny needles and thin yarn so it was taking me FOREVER. I wanted it to be really cool so I was making a blue scarf with red edges on all 4 sides. Next thing you know I'm still working on that same darn scarf one year later. One year becomes two, and then fast-foward like 4 years later... I'm still not done with it. The funny thing is I only have one last side to knit on it (the red edging) and I haven't picked it up to finish it. So now it's this running joke between me and my husband.

I found this really cute cotton flannel remnant at my favorite fabric and knitting thrift store and immediately thought of Kev. I thought it would make a really cute scarf for him. If I wasn't going to ever finish that knit scarf for him, at least I could sew him a scarf. I can't believe I was able to get it together before Christmas! Not only that, I was also able to finish two scarves, one to sell on Etsy.

Kev is so cute! He said this scarf was his favorite Christmas present. It rules over the Magnum P.I. complete Season One DVDs that my sister got him and the Marvel Chronicle book that my mom and aunt got him. ;) Kev has been wearing his scarf every day! So I know it's his new favorite thing because Kev actually rarely ever wears a scarf even though he owns three others.

I rounded the edges of the scarf I sewed him just to see how well I could do with curves on my serger. Not bad at all! (There's room to improve, as always.) I only made 2 scarves in this fabric since that's all I had enough fabric for. Kev's scarf is narrower and has the rounded edges. The scarf I posted on Etsy is wider and has squared edges. So even though they're two-of-a-kind in fabric, they're actually one-of-a-kind in design.

Since It's a reversible scarf you can wear it a few different ways - with either just mainly the plaid side showing, or the white/gray diagonal box side showing, or mix it up with a little bit of each side showing like in this photo. If you want to score the only other scarf like it go to my Etsy page to buy it before someone beats you to it! http://tswhimsy.etsy.com

Maybe later I'll post some photos of some of the scarves I've knit when I was really into knitting. They're kinda cool.

Happy New Year, everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment