Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Junk to Funk Favorites

Kev and I went to Junk to Funk this November for this first time - it was totally awesome. Even though I was super tired from only having gotten 4 hours of sleep before an all-day handbag design class (although I did get a 30 min nap in before J2F), I totally perked up when the models started working the catwalk. The entries were so creative! Kev & I were amazed that people could come up with such awesome looking garments out of only recycled "junk!"

One of my sewing instructors had told me about J2F. She said I should enter it, but she only told me about it a month ago, which I didn't think was enough time to get something cool together for the show this year. Kev & I figured we'd check the show out this fall & maybe next fall I'll enter it with my own recycled fashion creation. You are all invited in advance to view my entry next year - put it on your calendars! http://www.junktofunk.org/

Here are some photos of a few of my favorite entries from this year's show. I apologize that the photos are kind of crappy. I swear, it's the camera!

This entry came in 2nd place but I think she should have won 1st place, dubbed "Couch Couture." The designer used an old sofa for the jacket & bed sheets for the skirt. I was really impressed with the hardware used for the jacket closures (I think it's door chain locks). This entry also won the Peoples' Choice award.
I really liked this entry. The model is also the designer. She used zippers for the skirt, that's bubble wrap at the bottom, and the top is also made out of some kind of plastic material. I was impressed with her fit job. She won 3rd place, but I think she should have won 2nd place. She was so cute - sticking her tongue out all time. She was so excited when she placed 3rd!

This model/designer knit her own dress out of fabric scraps - it was the first thing she had ever knit. What I liked about her entry is that it reminded me of the Rodarte hand knit designs that are featured in, like, every magazine right now.
This model/designer crocheted her dress & gloves out of cassette tape! It was actually really pretty & sparkly - the photo doesn't do it justice. The belt is made out of plastic tape reels I think (maybe from movies?). This was one of Kev's favorite entries. We felt like she should have placed, maybe at least 3rd place.
This model/designer had a really fun entry, and a suprising one. She works in a hair salon, which explains her jacket. It's made out of her clients' hair, which she dyed & wove into the jacket. Her wig is made out of guitar strings, and her top & pants are made out of CDs.
This entry is made out of magazine pages. The designer/model dipped the pages that made up the skirt in black ink. There was another dress I liked better that was also made up of magazine pages. The other dress had a much cooler bodice with a plunging neckline that looked really cool. But I couldn't get a good photo of it so I'm posting this one instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment